(1) “Hand Technique” featuring the most unique method ever written: Roy Burns – Lew Malin plus matery of the “Stick Control book”
“Wrist and Finger Control” ( I am a former student of Roy’s ) I studied this method with with Roy at the then famous Henry Adler’s drum shop in NYC.
I am probably one of the few left that know how this works – It also includes the Moeller System.
(2) “Polyrhythms”:) I wrote the books – (open to all drummers and other musicians) prices vary for this course and it’s not for everybody
(3) “Drumset Study”: Yes this is full course – that’s what I play and what I teach. Have had many,many (and some now famous) students work thru this with me.
It’s the culmination of 235 years as a professional drummer and what I think you need to know to be a better one… Funk/Rock/Latin/Jazz/Brazilian
Prices: One lesson $175.00 – bi-weekly 90.00 – weekly 75.00 – You may have to pass a short audition. That’s Good for both of us…
The Clinic took place and was documented in Chicago on March 25th 2018. The sponsor (Vic’s Drum Shop) used the Music Garage Studio space for this clinic as their large rooms provide space for sold out crowds.This clinic covers topics from (both) my books on polyrhythms (as much as can be covered in a single clinic); It was then edited down to 45 minutes. Hopefully it answers some of the more common questions on the topic plus there are demonstrations as to how some of the more advanced excercises and solos sound when played up to tempo. By the way – it’s never that difficult once you work your way up to being able to play them. Here are the links:
BTW I have heard this comment from time to time:
…”I don’t play anything I cannot dance to” Hmmm well if
it’s learning polyrhythms that your referring then …WHAT are you talking about??
Here are some cultures that dance to polyrhythms no problem
1) Most all of Africa and North Africa
(Watussi Dance) from the 1950’s film: King Solomons Mines (Rwanda)
2) Most of Brazil
3) Most all of the countries that play “Latin Music”
4) Most all of South and North Classical Music and dance of India.
…and of course most of all those cultures all include polyrhythms in their music as well.
Then there us! Western Man – We do have very talented musicians and composers and a few internationally recognized orchestra composers and some very adventurous hard rock /metal / electronic punk bands who think way beyond the “normal” plus Frank Zappa for another.
But most of us need to take the time to practice and learn how poly-meters and polyrhythms work / how they sound and how to actually how play and improvise using them. If you do – then I promise that your already fine musicianship will become even better! by a lot!!
Here’s a free download of my “Official 26 Polyrhythm Rudiments”!
Note: The recorded version of The 26 Polyrhythm Rudiments may be purchased and then downloaded from: firstname.lastname@example.org There is a $5.00 Paypal charge for the audio download.
Why only practice rudiments in one dimension when you can practice them in two? It’s challenging but well worth it. (…for drummers who want to play everything they play even better )
Polyrhythm, with George Duke, Dave Young, Don Menza and Pete Magadini has been reissued and distributed by City Hall Records. Purchase Here.
Just released by: Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation: – The (updated) version of my two books “Learn to Play The Drumset” Vol. l and “Learn to Play the Drumset” Vol. ll –
It is: (1) a beginning book (for those just starting out ) and (2) slowly morphs into an advanced book. These are the materials I use and what I have taught to hundreds of great students through the the years of which some have become top drummers with recognizable names.
* Check out the back cover for all that is included in the “new” version “All -In-One-Learn To Play The Drumset” plus since then I have added new concepts to my program which are included in this book..
There are now video links, to on-line content, of exercises and patterns found through-out the entire book.
Note: Before going to: Amazon.com and /or other on – line retailers please check with your local sheet music store / drum shop or all encompassing music store in your area – ask THEM to order it, if they don’t have it already or search on line for: “All In One Learn To Play The Drumset”
* For those who complete the entire book we are offering a personal “Certificate of Achievement” (diploma) signed by me personally. It is a robust, gold embossed 8×10 award that is presented to you (in your name) – just pass the compulsory exam, that shows you can play the material, then contact me thru the website when your ready to take the exam.
An up-tempo drum solo build on the changes and form to the Jazz (standard) classic “Cherokee”
Andre White: piano
Alec Walkington: bass
NEW: I am now OFFERING (WORLDWIDE) PRIVATE SKYPE Drum LESSONS / Contact me thru this website link “contact” and tell me about what level you think you are now playing: I will also be teaching a Polyrhythm course (for all musicians)
…and for the really advanced I will be teaching from my book “Polyrhythms For The Drumset”
I have a list of students waiting now. to get on the list contact me from the “Contact” link on this website.
PRIVATE STUDY IN CHICAGO AREA: email@example.com
Now accepting a limited number of (serious) students for private study at the Chicago Studio.
All lessons are bi-weekly. Please include a short resume about your drumming self with your inquiry.
firstname.lastname@example.org / or contact me from the “contact” link of this website.